Sunday, September 5, 2010

Newport, OR




Yesterday was the University of Oregon's first game of the season. If you know me, I am not the biggest sports fan, but I'm always willing to go to games if fun people are going. We didn't have tickets to the game, but went to the alumni tailgate tent. They had tons of food and drink! We walked home when everyone headed into the stadium. It's not too loud when you're in our apartment, but you can hear the cheering in the parking lot. Our neighbors next door are very nice young men and their friends were shot gunning beers at 10am that morning. When we walked away I heard them call us "tight." There was another apartment where the kids were literally sitting on the roof drinking beer. Oh dear. Otherwise it wasn't too crazy in here. We drove over to our friends' apartment to watch the rest of the game, which was a bit of a blow out. Then we stopped at the library (I like us) and at Jim's locker for some books. I made spaghetti for dinner and we watched the first half of Animal House (filmed in Eugene.)
This morning we headed to Newport, which is about 2 hours away on the coast. Jim's not feeling great (a cold/ sinus infection) but he went along and I think had a great time. We drove through some mountains and up the coast. I got a little car sick but the views were pretty. When we got there, we found the Rogue store that allowed dogs and ate on the patio. I had a cheeseburger and Jim had clams. And beer, of course! They also had a dog menu, and I ordered Trooper a pork slider! It was a fun treat; we hadn't eaten out since our guests left in August. Yum! When we'd parked, I'd heard sea lions barking, so we went to see them (see the video I posted below! They were so loud!). It's a pretty cute town. Then we drove over to the beach at Yaquina Bay State Park and walked around. Trooper had a great time playing with Jim! He didn't know what to think at first, but got in the water up to his little belly. Then he found it really fun to dig in the sand. We were laughing so hard. He slept the whole way home and is currently passed out on his doggie pillow.
I made tofu and curry for dinner (Jim's comfort food request) and Jim's laying on the couch drinking some Sleepytime tea. He has a big day of studying tomorrow!

No comments: