Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day Off

No work today and it was nice to have a day off! I worked out, ran some errands, and made a giant bean and sausage soup. After lunch I took Trooper to the dog park. It's an interesting crowd at 3pm. The best time to go seems to be around 5pm or so. I worked on some sewing and then went to my Big Brothers/ Big Sisters training. I'm really looking forward to being a mentor. All of the youth in the program have somehow been affected by incarceration in some way (a parent, relative, etc.) They sometimes pair women with boys, but I requested to be paired with a girl. She could be between 6 and 17 years old. The normal time commitment is around 12- 15 hours a month. Every third Saturday there's a group activity, such as kayaking or rock climbing. I'm sure there will be challenges at time, such as remembering to leave my beliefs and values out of it. And my nutritional beliefs (kids like McDonald's...) but maybe I'll be able to introduce them to some fun new things (kids might like Thai food) and do some fun new things with them. I'm sure Trooper will love her too!

No comments: