Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Oh Roku

Disclaimer: Jim will not like this blog post.

The Roku is giving me a headache. You get used to watching tv one way for awhile and your brain can't handle a new way. I don't even watch that much tv. I just have a few shows I like to catch, including Gossip Girl, Glee, Modern Family, and the Food Network Classics. Most of these are on Hulu (no Giada though.) But you have to search for them. When you use the Roku, you have to search for what you want in the program you're using (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) either by using an arrow on the remote or typing in the name. So last night I decided I'd give the Roku a chance and watch the new show Parenthood. You have to go to Hulu and search for Parenthood. It came up with Two Seasons. However, Season One said "Excerpts" and Season Two said "Episodes." You can't watch the full episodes of Season one on Hulu Plus (which I am paying $8 a month for.) This whole search took about 15 minutes. I turned everything off and read my book. We also have Netflix but not everything on Netflix is available instantly through the Roku, so Jim put Parenthood Season One on my queue. It will be coming in the mail the way we usually get DVDs from Netflix. Sigh. Too much technology.

Luckily I've kept a basic cable package for us, so we get the regular channels for $12 a month. Jim says he'd like to get an antennae to get rid of those. I'm sure my brain will adjust, but it hurts just thinking about it. Sigh again.

2 comments:

smithktroll said...

OMG keep the basic cable ( and add a few) and let Jim watch Roku. Sorry my wonderful daughter-in-law!

Amanda said...

Thanks, Karen! Maybe one day I'll be able to Roku, but it's too much for my brain!