Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sourdough Starter in our Bedroom!


Today I started a sourdough starter. The recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens, and involves warm water, yeast, flour, and sugar or honey (I used a little of both.) You have to let it ferment for 5-10 days. I am storing it in our bedroom because it has to sit at 75-85 degrees (as Jim said, yeast is particular!) and our bedroom is the warmest room in the apartment. (Also, our new downstairs neighbors smoke on their patio and it wafts up into our kitchen. Blech! I don't want my starter to smell like smoke.) It's covered in cheese cloth. I wonder if our bedroom will start to smell like fresh baked bread!

Last night I made Martha Stewart's brownies to take to a BBQ. They turned out really well!

Jim has been working on school work every day to prepare for class. He's got to be ready for the ol' Socratic Method. I'm going to plant some things on our balcony, maybe find the Joann Fabrics in Eugene, take Trooper to the park, and Jim's making Ina's Coq au Vin for dinner.

No comments: