Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Life on Sabbatical


Grilled cheese with home made cream of broccoli soup. Yum!


Trooper's thinking, "I hate torts."


My craft corner. A lil messy.

Yesterday I checked out a few good books at the Eugene library. I'm currently reading Mansfield Park (I heart Jane Austen) but also picked up The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama and a few embroidery books. One of which is Doodle Stitching, which has such cute ideas. I used it to make a pillow for my niece awhile ago (see my archives!) Although I can't afford to buy too many craft supplies, I am hoping to buy a little here and there, especially to get ready for Christmas gifts. I've also read the Dalai Lama's autobiography, which focused on how he became the Dalai Lama and his escape from Tibet (really interesting). I became interested in Buddhism when it was recommended that I meditate to overcome anxiety. Buddhism is really interesting because it doesn't concern itself with a higher power or where we came from, but focuses on living a good life. One of the Dalai Lama's main ideas is that the meaning of life is happiness and all living things are good. Not a bad thing to try to remember!
Last night I made a really good home made soup. All of the veggies except the celery were from the market. I sauteed onion, carrots, and celery in butter and olive oil. When they were soft I added flour. Then I added chicken broth and broccoli. I let that all simmer. When it was soft I blended it in the blender. When I put it back in the pot I added heavy cream. The key was a LOT of salt and pepper. It makes you realize how salted canned soup must be! We also had grilled cheese, a big fave of mine.
After I walk Trooper and take a jog, it's on to the job search and looking around Eugene. Jim has a reception with the dean after school. I think we'll be having chick peas and eggplant curry over rice for dinner. With Trader Joe's garlic naan. I'm working on a painting for a friend in Illinois of her doggie. More later!

No comments: