Friday, June 22, 2012

Coco-Nuts

Typically, we make a grocery list on the weekends and try to shop for most of the food we will need for the week on Saturday or Sunday (and then inevitably need to run to the store at least four more times during the week.)  It takes a bit of discussion ("what do you want to eat this week?") and planning (lists!) but it's helpful.  This past weekend Jim decided he wanted to make Coconut Laska and Shrimp (as featured in the latest Food and Wine.)  It turned out really, really well, but definitely requires some special ingredients.  (Unless you happen to keep fresh lemongrass stalks on hand.)  He also decided to skip the first step (making your own shrimp broth) and purchase shrimp broth.  Well, Eugene made that a little hard.  I went to four local/ specialty stores before I found seafood stock (not shrimp, but oh well).  This meal ended up having restaurant quality and I'm excited to eat the rest for lunch.  Good work, Jim!
We are also slightly obsessed with coconut ice cream.  I've really been enjoying the So Delicious brand (also made right here in Eugene.)  I've read that it's good to avoid dairy when having allergy issues (can increase phlegm production... ew...) and coconut is soooo refreshing when it's warm out.  I love the mini ice cream sandwiches (only 100 calories) and Jim loves the chocolate ice cream with peanut butter.  So darn good.  (Coconut is still relatively high in fat, so if you want a healthier option I'd try the soy ice cream.  Also delicious.) 
Now I'm hungry.

No comments: