Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I was told that this is a Camas. On Saturday, I took my Little Sister to the Wayne Morse Ranch and we saw all of these fun purple flowers growing along the paths. I asked someone and was told that these Camas were a food source for Native Americans in the Willamette Valley. You can eat the whole flower, but the tastiest part is the root, which was cooked in pits in the ground. I did not taste test.

Yesterday was fun filled with both the Willamette Valley Music Festival on campus (I took Trooper, who was a HIT with the hippies) and the Sasquatch Beer Festival. Today it was domestics as usual while Jim studied at the library. I made stuffed peppers and orzo with veggies for dinner. I also made marion berry muffins, which I'm excited to try. Marion berries are like blackberries and grow in the Willamette Valley. As Jim would say, they're very "Pac NW."

And two final notes, Happy Mother's Day! Without you, we'd only have half of our genetic material and evolution wouldn't be possible. And I also want to remember a dear little doggie, June. She was a special pug that passed along to doggie heaven yesterday. Make sure to hug your doggie and cherish every minute with them. Trooper will get an extra salmon treat tonight.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I just read that the white version of this is toxic and called the Deathcamas. Jim asked me to make sure to write that you should NOT eat these flowers. He said, "That's legal advice from me to you."