Sunday, April 29, 2012

Half Day

The day I was waiting for finally arrived: Half Marathon Day.  It was a great run!  There were over 8,000 runners (half and full marathon.)  It started at 7am and began and ended at Hayward Field, a field right across the street from the law school at UO.  My awesome hubby went along and took Trooper to help root for me. 
My friend and I finished at 2 hours and 25 seconds.  If you missed my finish, I have attached a video clip below. 
For the run, I wore a fuel belt (with two water bottles) and took one Gu (energy gel) at the one hour mark.  A few weeks ago, I'd purchased synthetic fiber socks with really good cushion.  They were great: no blisters and minimal friction (would have been extra important if there was rain.)  I also wore my watch so we could have an idea of our splits at every mile marker.  (We averaged 9:12 per mile.) 
Eugene loves the marathon!  People were out and cheering for us almost the whole way.  People were playing music, ringing cowbells, screaming, etc.  One of my other awesome girlfriends even got up early and watched us run by near her house.  We saw some pretty funny "cheerers."  One guy had a poster that said "Worst Parade Ever."  We also saw a bunch of young dudes drinking PBR on lawn chairs in their yard.  At 7:15am.  It seemed like a big deal for Eugene. 
After we ran, we went to Off the Waffle, an amazing waffle place in town.  I am not a huge waffle person, but these "Liege" waffles were ridiculous.  I had mine with an egg and bacon on top and Jim had his with an egg, goat cheese, basil, and avocado on top.  OMG.  I also had a mimosa, which I obviously deserved. 
Next question: will I have the motivation to tackle a full marathon one day?  For now, I need to rest my tired legs. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So proud of you!

smithktroll said...

Sounds like an excellent day!!