Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Few Good Books

I have been reading a few good books lately and thought I'd make a few recommendations...
For September's Book Club, we read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  It's a Young Adult book about the Holocaust.  It's told from the point of view of a little girl, and except for a few parts, it doesn't have the usual morbidly depressing Holocaust stories.  A few times it felt a bit long (over 500 pages), but it was an overall good read.
I'm also reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  I started it on the airplane and had read 200 pages by the time I landed.  It's pretty popular right now and I did hear a commentator on NPR call the movie a "sanitized" version of the Civil Rights movement, but it's been an easy read and enjoyable so far.
And I am always taking recommendations for good books!

No comments: