Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Granola Bars Recipe

I have become obsessed with perfecting granola bars!  If you are like us, we love granola bars, and I don't like to buy ones that are full of sugar, artificial flavor, and preservatives.  So every week I hit up the bulk section at the store and experiment with new combos.  (Jim loves any combo that involves chocolate chips.)  Here is one that I made this week that we both liked:

2 1/4 rolled oats
1/2 cup flour (whole wheat if you want to make it healthier)
1/4 cup ground flax meal
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey (don't skimp, as they will be crumbly if you do, but if you overdo it, they are gooey; just experiment to your liking)
1 tsp. molasses
2 tsp. maple syrup
(if you want them sweeter, you can add a few tbsp. of brown sugar)
1/3 cup canola oil (or melted butter)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
dash of allspice
dash of ground ginger
1/4 cup pecan pieces (I've used any nuts... peanuts... walnuts... red pistachio nuts.... I didn't really use red pistachio nuts, I was just making a Best in Show reference)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup golden raisins (or cranberries)
pinch of salt
I've also tried it with coconut flakes, peanut butter, etc., etc., etc.  The granola bars are your canvas!

Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl and press into an 8x8 pan.  Bake at 325 for 18 minutes. When I take them out of the oven, I cover the pan with parchment paper and put a panini press weight on the bars to smoosh them down while they cool (and move it to cover all parts as they cool.)  I also wait a few hours or even overnight to cut them. 

I've read that if you want crispier bars, you can also add an egg white.  If they are too crumbly or fall apart, put them on yogurt and try it again!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Yum! Those granola bars look really good. I don't like to buy the granola bars in the store either because they have lots of sugar. And they are pretty easy to make!