Friday, August 16, 2013

Spaghetti Carbonara

The parents are on a date, so it's a Friday evening with Jim and five doggies.  I am making Jim one of his fave meals: Spaghetti Carbonara.  How many times am going to have to tell you to make this meal?  I love making this for other people when I visit.  I made it for my brother and he loved it, my best gal friend and her family and they loved it, and a few other lucky ducks.  Here's the deal: make it with pancetta!  I buy the Trader Joe's cubed pancetta (you can also buy slices at most delis; you could get thick cuts and cube it yourself) and saute that in a little olive oil first.  I then remove it from the pan and saute the asparagus in the oil and pancetta juice.  (I won't call it grease.)  From there I continue the recipe.  And you should NOT omit the fried egg(s)!  This is also a great recipe for anyone who's dairy free.  (Note: a lot of other American carbonaras use creamer.  Go with the egg yolks!)

No comments: