Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Singapore Noodles

Are you looking for a yummy veggie recipe?  My darling husband found this recipe for Singapore Noodles and I whipped it up last night.  It was really tasty!  The only thing that was a little annoying was the carrots and cabbage.  I shredded them in the food processor which was much more convenient but then requires cleaning out the processor.  I used savoy cabbage but was thinking that you could even buy one of those bags of cabbage and carrots that is meant to be used for cole slaw if you wanted something faster.  Today I have a pot of Emeril's Shrimp Etouffee on the stove and am planning to reheat it when we get home and add the shrimp.  (I did change the shrimp stock to chicken stock.)  Another recipe with a bit of chopping and that wouldn't work well after work, as it has to simmer for 45 minutes, but could be a good Sunday or make ahead meal.  (Can you tell I don't like to chop?  Would you like to be my sous chef?)  Both of these recipes also used tomatoes, and I peeled and deseeded fresh tomatoes from our garden.  (Easy way to peel tomatoes: dunk them in boiling butter than ice water.)
And speaking of food and cooking, I was lucky enough to find Michael Pollan's new book, Cooked, on the new books shelf at the library.  I've just started reading it and am on the section on BBQ, so I'm obviously enjoying it.  If you haven't read any of his books, I highly recommend them.  He's a very easy to read author who will make you think a bit about the food you buy and eat. 
And if you are wondering, my pal JMD had a great first day of work!  I'm so proud of him! 
Okay, all of this food writing has made me hungry.

No comments: