Monday, November 28, 2011

Adventures in Granola Making

I realized that I never posted about making granola!  We've recently discovered the joy and savings of the bulk section at the grocery store.  It's especially nice for things like granola or trail mix (a good Jim snack lately) or baking needs.  I googled and read in my Martha cookbook about how to make granola and it's really easy.  The first time I made it it did burn as I took a long shower and didn't check on it.  To make granola, you can throw together any ingredients you like: rolled oats, flax seeds, nuts (I like walnuts and pecans), coconut flakes, dried berries, etc.  I mixed in a tiny bit of vanilla extract and cinnamon.  You can sweeten it with brown sugar or use honey or maple syrup like I did.  I placed parchment paper on a cookie sheet and baked it for a half hour at 300 degrees, turning it every ten minutes.  My second batch came out so well that Jim said, "Tastes like granola."  I use it as a topping on Greek yogurt and pack a little parfait snack in a reusable bowl to take to work.  You can cover it with honey and add fresh fruit if you want.  I tried to read on wikipedia why granola is associated with hippies but it wasn't clear to me. 

No comments: