Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cycle the Lakes

Today my friend and I participated in Cycle the Lakes, a bike ride around Dorena Lake in Cottage Grove. 
Wow, what a funny experience!
We signed up for the 26 mile distance as it was the shortest.  (You could also do 50 or 100 miles.  In retrospect, I think we did the 100 miles.)  Last night, we went out to the Bier Stein to celebrate Jim's birthday, but I headed in early as we had a 6:15am wake up call.  It was still an early Saturday. 
The ridiculousness began at 6:45 when we tried to get my bike into the car.  I've never learned how to remove the front tire, but after a half hour of craziness, we figured it out.  (Girl power.) 
Cottage Grove is about a half hour away, and you could start the ride any time between 7am and 10am.  We'd thought we'd start at 7:15, but by the time we got started it was actually 8:15.  And then we got lost.  Multiple times.  All we were given was a poorly made map.  Our cell phones didn't get service.  We only encountered about 5 other bikers in the first few hours of the ride.  All the while, I was worried I'd attached my front tire incorrectly and that it'd fly off. 
The scenery was really pretty.  We saw a lot of live stock, but we were in the deep country, so I was worried that if I took pictures someone would appear with a rifle.  (No alpaca pictures.  Sorry.) 
We repeatedly had to turn around.  We laughed so hard we were crying.  And after about 3 hours and 15 minutes, we finished.  (We'd been assuming that 26 miles would take us no longer than 2 hours.)  And at the end, we realized our entry fee must have been put towards a mile of American flags, not directional signs along the course. 
But we did it.  I'm in desperate need of yoga.  And a bath. 

No comments: